According to RationalStat analysis, the market value of the global autonomous aircraft market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 17.2% during the forecast period 2023-2028.
Cargo planes are expected to be the major segment driving the growth of the market as the e-commerce industry flourishes, it is driving the air cargo demand, which may increase the demand for air cargo pilots in the near future. Hence, most of the developments in the autonomous aircraft market are aimed at bringing autonomous cargo aircraft into commercial use, to fill in the gap due to the pilot shortage.
Upsurging investments and fundings from the government, to drive aircraft production
The growth of the autonomous aircraft market can be attributed to several factors, including the increasing demand for unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) in military and defense applications, the need for efficient and cost-effective transportation systems, and advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies. Additionally, governments around the world have been investing in the development of autonomous aircraft, as seen in the United States, Europe, and Asia-Pacific regions
- In 2019, the FAA announced US$6 million in funding for the Unmanned Aircraft Systems Integration Pilot Program, which aims to accelerate the integration of unmanned aircraft into the national airspace system.
- For instance, in 2020, the U.S. Air Force awarded a US$400 million contract to Skyborg, a program aimed at developing autonomous aircraft for combat missions.
- In Japan, the government has been investing in the research and development of autonomous aircraft through its New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization (NEDO). In 2020, NEDO announced a project to develop autonomous aircraft for emergency medical services.
Despite the growth potential of the autonomous aircraft market, there are still some challenges that need to be addressed. One major challenge is the regulatory environment, as the regulations for autonomous aircraft are still in the development stage and may vary between countries. Another challenge is the development of reliable and secure communication systems for autonomous aircraft, as they require real-time communication with ground stations and other aircraft.
North America to dominate the global market
North America is expected to dominate the global autonomous aircraft market owing to the upsurging procurement of autonomous UAVs coupled with the penetration of the latest technologies in the region. In Europe, the market is anticipated to grow at a significant rate as the region is divulged into frequent combat operations and surveillance, which will drive the market in forthcoming years.
In the Asia Pacific region, developing economies like China, and India, among others are increasing their expenditure and parking their money in the production of autonomous aircraft and UAVs to strengthen commercial as well as defense needs.
Moreover, the advancements in artificial intelligence and machine learning technologies across the globe, are also contributing to the growth of the autonomous aircraft market. These technologies enable autonomous aircraft to operate safely and efficiently, without the need for human intervention. Machine learning algorithms can be used to analyze data from sensors and cameras on the aircraft, enabling them to make decisions in real-time.
Besides, advancements in sensor technology, such as LiDAR and radar, are improving the accuracy and reliability of autonomous aircraft, further driving market growth.
Market Structure and competition landscape
The global autonomous aircraft market is fragmented, with several players offering a wide range of product portfolios. Some of the key market players include The Boeing Company, Airbus SE, AeroVironment, Inc., Lockheed Martin Corporation, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Bell Textron Inc., BAE Systems Inc., Raytheon Technologies, Saab AB, Volocopter GmbH, Elbit Systems, Kitty Hawk, and Aston Martin among others.
These players are adopting various strategies like partnering up with their peers and launching new products in the market, to acquire a significant market share and gain first-mover advantages in the global market. Following are instances of such strategies:
- In April 2023, Volocopter announced the launch of its VoloCity, a two-seat eVTOL aircraft.
- In February 2023, Airbus announced the launch of its CityAirbus NextGen, a fully electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft.
- In January 2023, Boeing and Saab announced a partnership to develop an autonomous refueling aircraft.
- In October 2021, Textron Aviation entered an exclusive partnership with Xwing to develop autonomous flight capability for its current and future aircraft. The companies are currently developing a remote piloting technology for Textron’s Cessna Grand Caravan utility aircraft.
- In September 2021, Northrop Grumman unveiled the design of a new autonomous aircraft named Model 437, with a 3,000-mile range. The company has partnered with Scaled Composites to design the aircraft as a potential force multiplier for the US Air Force.
Key market segmentation
RationalStat has segmented the global autonomous aircraft market based on component, aircraft type, technology, takeoff weight, end user, and region.
- By Component
- Flight Management Computers
- Air Data Inertial Reference Units (ADIRU)
- Actuation Systems
- Radars & Transponders
- Propulsion Systems
- By Aircraft Type
- By Technology
- Increasingly Autonomous (IA)
- Fully Autonomous
- By Takeoff Weight
- Less than 1000 Kg
- 1000-2500 Kg
- More than 2500 Kg
- By End User
- Commercial Aircraft
- Air Medical Service
- Passenger Air Vehicle
- Cargo & Delivery Service
- Combat & ISR
- Personal Air Vehicle
- Defense Aircraft
- By Region
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- ASEAN (Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.)
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- North America
To customize reports as per your needs, speak to our analyst
RationalStat has developed a state-of-the-art research methodology to crunch numbers and provide the best possible real-time insights to clients. We combine a varied range of industry experience, data analytics, and experts’ viewpoint to create a research methodology for market sizing and forecasting.
RationalStat combines a mix of secondary sources as well as primary research to assess the market size and develop a forecast. Key steps involved in accurately deriving the market numbers are:
- Defining the problem by understanding the type of market and data required by the client.
- Data gathering and collection through relevant paid databases, publicly available sources, company reports, annual reports, surveys, and interviews.
- Formulating a hypothesis to create market numbers, forecasts, influencing factors, and their relevance.
- Evaluating and analysing the data by referring to data sources utilized and leveraged.
- Validating, interpreting, and finalizing the data by combining the details gathered from primary and secondary sources with the help of experienced analysts.
- RationalStat utilizes surveys, questionnaires, focus groups, and one-to-one interviews with CXOs, industry partners, trade bodies, association members, ex-employees, and industry professionals to collect insights and quantitative/qualitative data specific to client needs. RationalStat quickly gets to the ‘why’ behind the ‘what’ demonstrated by secondary data.
- RationalStat takes a unique approach to arrive at market conclusions and actionable insights for clients.
- We have the technology and strong in-house resource pool with extensive experience in the global and regional markets, across a wide variety of categories and stakeholders.
- Strong language proficiency and capability with coverage across more than 70 language areas.
- Annual reports, company filings, investor presentations, product catalogs, and company documents.
- Industry and market-related documents available in the public domain
- Paid databases including Bloomberg, Factiva, S&P Capital IQ, FactSet, Refinitiv Eikon, ICIS, EUWID, and Thomson Reuters, among others.
- Whitepapers, research papers, and industry blogs.
Why Buy this Report?
The report is intended for global autonomous aircrafts manufacturers and producers, government organizations, educational organizations, regulatory agencies, and market research firms, among others. The report provides an in-depth analysis of market size, consumption patterns, ongoing market trends and challenges, and future market opportunities. The report will serve as a source for a 360-degree analysis of the market thoroughly delivering insights to clients to find the right answers to their business questions.
Key Questions Answered in the Autonomous Aircrafts Report:
- What will be the market value of the global autonomous aircrafts market by 2030?
- What is the market size of the global autonomous aircrafts market?
- What are the market drivers of the global autonomous aircrafts market?
- What are the key trends in the global autonomous aircrafts market?
- Which is the leading region in the global autonomous aircrafts market?
- What are the major companies operating in the global autonomous aircrafts market?
- What are the market shares by key segments in the global autonomous aircrafts market?