Benefits associated with using e-bikes are expected to accelerate the market growth of e-bike battery
The e-bike battery market is poised to grow with a CAGR of 7.2% from 2022-2030 and is estimated to be valued at around US$ 9.2 billion in 2022.
E-bikes offer multiple benefits including, reduced emissions, energy efficiency, reduction in traffic congestion, promotes sustainable transport, among others. E-bikes produce zero tailpipe emissions since they are powered by electricity. By replacing conventional fossil fuel-powered vehicles with e-bikes, the overall carbon footprint and air pollution can be reduced, contributing to improved air quality and mitigating climate change. These attractive environmental benefits of using e-bikes results in increased penetration of e-bikes, thereby positively affecting the e-bike battery market.
Moreover, traffic congestion is a key problem across the globe, particularly in urban areas. E-bikes can play a significant role in alleviating traffic congestion in urban areas. Traffic congestion is a common problem in many cities, leading to increased travel times, fuel consumption, and air pollution. With the rising adoption of e-bikes, the traffic problem can be solved to some extent. By encouraging more people to switch to e-bikes for short-distance trips, the overall number of cars on the road can be reduced, easing traffic congestion. The awareness regarding the benefits of e-bikes amongst the population would drive up the demand for e-bikes, which would eventually drive sales in the e-bike battery market.
Attractive features of lithium-ion batteries expected to drive the growth within the e-bike market
Lithium-ion (Li-ion) batteries offer numerous benefits including, high energy density, long life cycle, high power output, and eco-friendly, among others. Lithium-ion batteries can store a large amount of energy in a compact and lightweight package. This makes them ideal for portable electronic devices and electric vehicles where size and weight are critical factors, thus making them ideal for use in e-bikes.
Furthermore, lithium-ion batteries support fast charging, allowing devices and electric vehicles to be recharged quickly. Rapid charging capabilities are essential for modern electronic devices and EVs to reduce downtime and enhance user convenience. In addition, lithium-ion batteries are available in various sizes and shapes and thus are used widely in various applications. The above-mentioned features make lithium-ion-based batteries an attractive alternative and thus make a positive impact on the e-bike market.
Wide adoption of e-bikes in Europe is expected to drive up the demand for e-bike batteries in the region
Europe holds a significant share of the e-bike battery market, primarily due to the wide adoption of e-bikes in the region. The demand for e-bike battery in the region is led by Germany, Netherlands, France, and Belgium. In addition, the continent’s pledge towards sustainable transportation further is expected to make a positive impact on the e-bikes market, which would positively impact the e-bikes battery market.
Asia Pacific is a significant market for e-bike batteries, primarily due to the presence of various manufacturing units. The e-bike battery market in the region is driven by China, India, among others. China is one of the largest markets for e-bikes and e-bike batteries globally. The country’s massive adoption of e-bikes for commuting and urban transportation has driven the demand for e-bike batteries. India’s e-bike market is growing rapidly, driven by increasing urbanization, traffic congestion, and government initiatives to promote electric mobility. The demand for e-bike batteries is also on the rise in India.
The US and Canada have seen a surge in e-bike popularity, driven by urbanization, interest in eco-friendly transportation, and efforts to reduce reliance on cars. The North American e-bike battery market has also experienced growth. The Middle East and Africa market for e-bike batteries are also witnessing a slow but steady adoption of e-bikes, particularly in urban centers. The demand for e-bike batteries is gradually increasing as well.
Market Structure and competition landscape
The global e-bike battery market is highly competitive, due to the presence of a large number of producers of the e-bike battery. Samsung SDI Co. Ltd, Yamaha Corporation, Yoku Energy (Zhangzhou) Co. Ltd, Kingbo Power Technology Co. Limited, Liv Cycling, Shimano Inc, Panasonic Industry Europe GmbH, BMZ GmbH, Mahle GmbH, and Varta AG, among others, are the key producers of e-bike battery.
Moreover, the manufacturers operating in the global e-bike battery market are focusing on new product launches, along with partnership strategies for their business expansion, for instance,
- In April 2023, Samsung SDI and General Motors announces plans to form a joint venture electric vehicle battery manufacturing plant to be located in the US, which is expected to commence in 2026.
- In December 2021, Samsung SDI introduced a new battery brand called PRiMX. Through this brand, the company intends to encourage and promote super-gap technology.
- In May 2020, Shimano launched BT-E8036 within its STEPS e-bike component line. The new integrated e-bike battery comes with a 630 WH capacity.
Key market segmentation
RationalStat has segmented the global e-bike battery market based on source, product type, application, and region.
- By Type
- Lithium-ion Battery
- Lead Acid Battery
- NiMH Battery
- Other Battery Types
- By Bike Type
- By Application
- Folding Electric Bicycle
- Smart Electric Bicycle
- By Sales Channel
- By Region
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- ASEAN (Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.)
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- North America
To customize reports as per your needs, speak to our analyst
RationalStat has developed a state-of-the-art research methodology to crunch numbers and provide the best possible real-time insights to clients. We combine a varied range of industry experience, data analytics, and experts’ viewpoint to create a research methodology for market sizing and forecasting.
RationalStat combines a mix of secondary sources as well as primary research to assess the market size and develop a forecast. Key steps involved in accurately deriving the market numbers are:
- Defining the problem by understanding the type of market and data required by the client.
- Data gathering and collection through relevant paid databases, publicly available sources, company reports, annual reports, surveys, and interviews.
- Formulating a hypothesis to create market numbers, forecasts, influencing factors, and their relevance.
- Evaluating and analyzing the data by referring to data sources utilized and leveraged.
- Validating, interpreting, and finalizing the data by combining the details gathered from primary and secondary sources with the help of experienced analysts.
- RationalStat utilizes surveys, questionnaires, focus groups, and one-to-one interviews with CXOs, industry partners, trade bodies, association members, ex-employees, and industry professionals to collect insights and quantitative/qualitative data specific to client needs. RationalStat quickly gets to the ‘why’ behind the ‘what’ demonstrated by secondary data.
- RationalStat takes a unique approach to arrive at market conclusions and actionable insights for clients.
- We have the technology and strong in-house resource pool with extensive experience in the global and regional markets, across a wide variety of categories and stakeholders.
- Strong language proficiency and capability with coverage across more than 70 language areas.
- Annual reports, company filings, investor presentations, product catalogs, and company documents.
- Industry and market-related documents available in the public domain
- Paid databases including Bloomberg, Factiva, S&P Capital IQ, FactSet, Refinitiv Eikon, ICIS, EUWID, and Thomson Reuters, among others
- Whitepapers, research papers, and industry blogs.
Why Buy this Report?
The report is intended for global e-bike battery manufacturers and producers, government organizations, educational organizations, regulatory agencies, and market research firms, among others. The report provides an in-depth analysis of market size, consumption patterns, ongoing market trends and challenges, and future market opportunities. The report will serve as a source for a 360-degree analysis of the market thoroughly delivering insights to clients to find the right answers to their business questions.
Key Questions Answered in the E-Bike Battery Report:
- What will be the market value of the global e-bike battery market by 2030?
- What is the market size of the global e-bike battery market?
- What are the market drivers of the global e-bike battery market?
- What are the key trends in the global e-bike battery market?
- Which is the leading region in the global e-bike battery market?
- What are the major companies operating in the global e-bike battery market?
- What are the market shares by key segments in the global e-bike battery market?