The global hydrogel dressing market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period 2022-2028. The growing prevalence of chronic wounds coupled with the rise in the adoption of evidence-based treatments for chronic wounds and a substantial rise in the diabetic population are the primary factors driving the growth of the global hydrogel dressing market. People with diabetes are more susceptible to having foot ulcers which propel the need for the product. Moreover, the increasing prevalence of pressure ulcers and venous leg ulcers across the globe are also augmenting the product demand, thereby, driving the market growth.
Hydrogel dressing products promote faster-wound healing and are gaining a competitive advantage over traditional wound care and closure products, which contributes to the market’s growth. Moreover, technological advancements in wound closure techniques, such as injectable stimuli-responsive amorphous hydrogels for halting bleeding in trauma patients and military personnel, contribute to the expansion of the market. However, there are factors that are hampering market growth, for instance, hydrogels cannot absorb large quantities of liquid and are therefore not suitable for moist wounds that could become infected. In addition, their low mechanical strength makes them susceptible to tearing, making it difficult for patients to change their own dressings.
Amorphous hydrogels are becoming more popular due to the increasing prevalence of chronic wounds
On the basis of product, the market is segmented into amorphous hydrogel dressings, impregnated hydrogel dressings, and sheet hydrogel dressings. The amorphous hydrogel dressing segment is anticipated to dominate the market and maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period. Increasing ulcer prevalence and military accidents are primary growth factors for the segments. Moreover, soaring technological innovations and increasing chronic wounds further augment the demand for amorphous hydrogel dressings. In addition, amorphous hydrogel dressing rehydrates the wound tissue by providing moisture to a dry wound and maintaining a moist healing environment, which further aids in its wide adoption rate. Further, impregnated hydrogel dressing segment is expected to grow moderately over the forecast period. The impregnated materials used for hydrogel dressing enable them to be nonadherent and moderately occlusive, thus considerably used for treating wounds.
Asia Pacific hydrogel dressing market is gaining significant momentum
The increasing awareness and demand for hydrogel dressing products in the Asia Pacific presents lucrative opportunities for the key players operating in the market. In addition, an increase in the prevalence of chronic diseases, a high disposable income, and advancements in the field of healthcare collectively contribute to the regional market growth. The Asia Pacific is densely populated, with India and China being some of the most populous nations across the globe. Additionally, the prevalence of diabetes patients is significant in these countries which are also expected to drive the demand for hydrogel dressings in the region. North America is expected to contribute significantly to the global hydrogel dressing market on account of a well-established healthcare infrastructure with a significant number of burn care centers. Moreover, the increasing prevalence of diabetes leading to diabetic foot ulcers, and the increase in cases of burns, and traumatic, and surgical wounds are driving the regional market growth. The market for hydrogel dressing is expanding in Europe as a result of the surging prevalence of pressure ulcers and advancements in on-demand dissolvable hydrogel dressings.
Market Structure and Competition Landscape
Some of the leading players operating in the global hydrogel dressing market are 3M Co., Cardinal Health Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Coloplast A/S, Integra LifeSciences, Smith & Nephew plc, Johnson & Johnson Services Inc., Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH & Co. AG, McKesson Corp., Medline Industries LP, Convatec Inc., Mölnlycke Health Care AB, and EBOS Healthcare among others. To maintain their market position, the key players in the hydrogel dressing market focus on various growth strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, and product portfolio expansion. Some of the key developments in the hydrogel dressing market are,
- In August 2020, One Equity Partners and The Silverfern Group announced that they had acquired American Medical Technologies, a wound-care company – American Medical Technologies (AMT). AMT offers advanced bandages, clinical education at the bedside, and other technologies for clinical and risk management.
- In May 2019, the Wound and Skin Care Division of Coloplast U.S. introduced Biatain Silicone with 3DFit Technology. Biatain Silicone has a comprehensive portfolio of foam dressings designed to provide flexibility to health care professionals in the management of exuding wounds and the prevention of pressure injuries.
- In May 2019, 3M announced the acquisition of Acelity Inc., a wound dressing and medical product manufacturing company.
Key Market Segmentation
RationalStat has segmented the global hydrogel dressing market based on the product type, application, raw material, end user, and region.
- By Product Type
- Amorphous Hydrogel Dressings
- Impregnated Hydrogel Dressings
- Sheet Hydrogel Dressings
- By Application
- Acute Wounds
- Traumatic and Surgical Wounds
- Chronic Wounds
- Infectious Wounds
- Pressure Ulcers
- Arterial and Venous Ulcers
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers
- Acute Wounds
- By Raw Material
- By End User
- Ambulatory Surgery Centers (ASCs)
- Nursing Facilities
- Burn Care Centers
- By Region
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Western Europe
- Rest of Western Europe
- Eastern Europe
- Rest of Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- ASEAN (Indonesia, Vietnam, Malaysia, etc.)
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of the Middle East & Africa
- North America
RationalStat has developed a state-of-the-art research methodology to crunch numbers and provide the best possible real-time insights to clients. We combine a varied range of industry experience, data analytics, and experts’ viewpoint to create a research methodology for market sizing and forecasting.
RationalStat combines a mix of secondary sources as well as primary research to assess the market size and develop a forecast. Key steps involved in accurately deriving the market numbers are:
- Defining the problem by understanding the type of market and data required by the client.
- Data gathering and collection through relevant paid databases, publicly available sources, company reports, annual reports, surveys, and interviews.
- Formulating a hypothesis to create market numbers, forecast, influencing factors, and their relevance.
- Evaluating and analyzing the data by referring to data sources utilized and leveraged.
- Validating, interpreting, and finalizing the data by combining the details gathered from primary and secondary sources with the help of experienced analysts.
- Annual reports, company filings, investor presentations, product catalogs, white papers, research reports, trade fairs, and company documents.
- Available industry and market-related documents in the public domain.
- Paid database including Bloomberg, Factiva, S&P Capital IQ, FactSet, Refinitiv Eikon, ICIS, EUWID, Thomson Reuters, among others.
- Whitepapers, research papers, and industry blogs
Why Buy this Report?
The report is intended for hydrogel dressing manufacturers, medical device companies, suppliers and dealers, healthcare facilities, burn care centers, investment firms, government organizations, educational organizations, regulatory agencies, research organizations, and market research firms, among others. The report provides an in-depth analysis of market size, consumption pattern, ongoing market trends and challenges, and future market opportunities. The report will serve as a source for a 360-degree analysis of the market thoroughly delivering insights to clients to find the right answers to their business questions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The global hydrogel dressing market is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 6.5% during the forecast period 2022-2028.
Asia Pacific holds a prominent share of the market.
The global market for hydrogel dressing was US$ 850 Million in 2021.
The emergence of diabetes among the population and increasing military accidents are the major factors driving the growth of the global hydrogel dressing market.
Major companies operating in the global hydrogel dressing market are 3M Co., Cardinal Health Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, Coloplast A/S, Integra LifeSciences, Smith & Nephew plc, Johnson & Johnson Services Inc., Lohmann & Rauscher GmbH & Co. AG, McKesson Corp., Medline Industries LP, Convatec Inc., Mölnlycke Health Care AB, and EBOS Healthcare among others.